Monday, May 05, 2008

Currently Not a Legitimate Driver

So, I wake up this morning, get dressed all cute and do my hair and make-up and have Clint go with me the the DPS office so I can get a new driver's license with my new last name on it. I wanted until after my 21st birthday (so I wouldn't have to go twice this year) and I wanted to get it done soon, because next week I am flying and I need a picture ID with my new last name so it will match my plane ticket. So I have all of my proper paperwork and present to the DPS lady...thinking I have it all together and that this should take no time and all...and she looks at my current Colorado driver's license and tells me, "Oh, this license expired 5 days ago, so you are not valid to get a driver's license in another state. You will have to retake the written and driving test to get a Texas driver's license."

I was confused because I originally took my driving test in TEXAS and I have had at least TWO Texas driver's licenses in my short driving lifetime. Well, I guess it was too long ago, because they were no longer valid in the system and I would have to reapply!!

Are you kidding me?!? I am not retaking the driver's written test and getting in a car with someone to take a driving test. Been there, done that like six years ago. Oh my goodness. I don't have time right now to study the Texas Driver's Handbook and memorize all the current DUI penalties! Ugh!

So, I told the DPS lady my situation and that I was needing a picture ID to fly back to Colorado and she gave me a little tip. She said I could renew my Colorado license in Colorado and bring in back to her and it would be valid in Texas and I could legally drive without taking any tests.

All I was trying to do was get out of having to get two driver's licenses in the same year in the same state and because I waited 5 days too long...I have to get two driver's licenses in two different states!

Good grief! Maybe I can renew my Colorado one online....

That's my story for today.

1 comment:

*Heather said...

Oh man Kalya! Hope it all works out for you. :)