Thursday, April 24, 2008

The First Paintings

I know you all have been waiting to see what I did with all those paint supplies I bought! Let's just say that I am in love with my new hobby! I have lots of new ideas filling my head.

Here is my first "experimental" painting. This one is for my totally amazing friend, Meghan who is currently in Europe without me...so it will have to be a late birthday present! I totally played on this one and I tried a whole bunch of different stuff. I laid down a thick texture of gel medium and let that dry overnight. Then I painted the dark pink color in the upper right hand corner. Once that dried, I laid down the word "LOVE" in sticker letters. Then I had fun painting over it. I also decoupaged one of my favorite verses from Ephesians that talks about love onto the canvas and painted over it. I also added drips and splatters. Once the paint dried, I gently peeled off the sticker letters. It was so fun and I was able to try a bunch of stuff on one canvas.

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

My good friend, Deanna watched me paint the whole LOVE canvas, so she decided that she needed to come over and have a painting day with me. So this Tuesday, she came over and painted a beautiful yellow and white paisley canvas for her new home. While she did that, I worked on my first collection for my house.

Photobucket

I had an empty space above my towel rack in my guest bathroom, so I wanted to paint something green to go above it. When I found a huge paisley stencil at Hobby Lobby, I knew exactly what I wanted to do with it! I bought 4 8x10 canvases and painted them all black. Once they dried, I laid the paisley stencil on top of all four of them and I slathered over it with a thick coat of gel medium to create a raised paisley pattern. After it dried overnight, I brushed four different coats of green over it while still exposing some of the black. It looked perfect with my green paisley towels! Don't you think!?!

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Let me know if you have any questions and I'll be happy to answer them! Now to think up my next project...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! :)
I love them kayla!
So beautiful and hip... yeah for you!
-K

megs said...

you are ridiculously creative and I can't wait to see you!!! I love my birthday present. :) i think you'll like yours too. ;)

Anonymous said...

i love the painting above you towel rack. the love painting is sooooooo cute. put the love painting in your bedroom. above you and Clint's bed.
LOVE, MERCY

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous!!!!!! And Happy belated Birthday!!!!!

Unknown said...

Wow Kayla!!! Those are SO very cool!! LOVE the bathroom ones so much! Great job! ;)

Anonymous said...

oh my word kayla! those are awesome!!! my only question is:

will you make me some?! LOL

Unknown said...

How did you paint the green so that the black would still show through?

Anonymous said...

Totally awesome painting! I love them both!